Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sambar Powder

Home Made Sambar Powder 

Being married in a South Indian family always gives an edge as you tend to get those legendary secret family recipes of sambar, rasam and chutneys and much more. In my efforts to get my hands on the South Indian kitchen, I started with my mom- in - law's Sambar recipe which is to die for and I certainly vouch for it.

The most essential ingredient for sambar is sambar powder that brings all the difference. There is no better option than a perfectly blended home made sambar powder which is very easy to make. The recipe below is my mom - in - law's and gives a wonderful taste to sambar. This quantity will serve  4-5 people.

Ingredients: (quantity shown in the image)


  1. Black pepper corns 
  2. Dry Red Chilli 
  3. Coriander seeds 
  4. Tuar Dal 
  5. Cumin Seeds 
  6. Methi seeds 

Ingredients 
Method:

  • In a pan, dry roast tuar dal first. As it turns pink, add in all the other ingredients and roast them till they are properly roasted. 
  • Put this mix aside to come to normal temperature and then run it in a grinder until it becomes a fine powder.
This powder is now ready to be added to your sambar. I will share sambar recipe in my next post. Until then.. Happy Eating :)


No comments:

Post a Comment