So finally the mango season is here and people are enjoying the 'Kind of Fruits' in its various forms - aamras, panna and eating on sweet aromatic mangoes.
Raw mango is an equal delight and not just used in pickles but can also be used to prepare some interesting rice dishes. One of my quick favorites is 'Mango Rice'. It is a tasty, easy and quick recipe.
Here you go..
Raw mango large - 1 peeled and grated
Plain rice - cooked and cooled (quantity enough for 2 -3 people)
Ghee- 3 tbspn
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds - 1.5 tbspn
Whole dry red chilies - 2-3 broken into halves
Chilli flakes - 1.5 tbspn
Onion large - 1 diced
Peanuts - handful
Turmeric powder - 1.5 tbspn
Red chilli powder (kashmiri laal mirch) - 1.5 tbspn
Fresh coriander leaves- chopped
Sugar - a pinch or two
- Steam boil the rice. Drain off excess water and keep them aside until cool.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add peanuts to it. Saute until almost red and fried.
- Throw in the mustard seeds and whole dry red chillies and cook until splutter and then add in diced onion to this.
- Let the onions turn pale pink and add in turmetic powder, red chilli powder, salt to taste, chilli flakes and let the spices cook for a minute or two.
- Now add in grated raw mango to this, give it a good mix and cover the lid and let this cook on a low flame for good 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and check if the smell of raw turmeric persists. In case if it is still there, cook it for another 2-3 minutes. Once the smell is gone, add the rice to this. Give it a nice mix and put the flame off. Taste the rice at this point. If it is too tangy for you, you may like to add in a pinch or two of sugar to it. This will give the dish an amazing balance.
- Add in chopped coriander to your dish and it is ready to be served.
Take more raw mangoes as you make rice in more quantity.
This is one of my fav. quick rice recipes. Hope you will like it too!!
Happy Eating :)