Shahi Paneer is a dish that is considered to be one of the best and most loved paneer preparations and is most commonly served at parties, weddings and other special occasions in India. What many people do not know is that it is a simple recipe with great flavors. You will notice in the ingredients that I have not used many whole spices but you will be surprised by the aromas of the gravy once its done.
My friend suggested me to sell this dish @ Rs. 500 per plate :) ... what say???
Quantities mentioned below, serves 2-3 people
- Paneer (cottage cheese)
- Onion large - 1
- Tomatoes large - 5-6
- Green Chili - 2
- Ginger - 2 inch peeled
- Garlic cloves - 10-12 peeled
- Cashew soaked in water for an hour - 7-8
- Butter - 2-3 tbsp
- Green Cardamon - 1
- Black Cardamon - 1
- Salt - to taste
- Red Chili powder - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Garam Masala powder - 1/3 tbsp
- Kasuri Methi - 1 tbsp
- Tomato Ketchup - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - a pinch (optional)
- Fresh Cream - 1-2 tbsp (optional)
- Coriander - for garnish
- Pressure cook onion, tomatoes and green chili by 1 whistle or boil it until soft. Drain the extra water and grind everything into a fine paste. Sieve this paste and keep aside.
- Take the cashew out of water, spray some butter and microwave them for 3-4 seconds. Now grind the cashew with 1 tbsp water into a fine paste and keep aside.
- Grind ginger and garlic in 1tbsp water into a fine paste and keep it aside.
- TIP: Boil the paneer for 10 minutes, drain the water and cut into cubes. Boiling the paneer makes it soft.
- Take the butter in a pan and without letting it heat, add ginger garlic paste to it along with Cardamons. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sieved onion tomato chili paste to this and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, crushed and refined kasuri methi, cashew paste and tomato sauce to this. Give it a good mix, cover the lid and let it cook on low flame for 7-10 minutes.
- Add in the paneer cubes at this point and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add a pinch of sugar to it if you find the taste too tangy. This is optional.
- Add some coriander leaves now, again cover the lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. This will blend the taste of coriander leaves with the gravy.
- And finally you can add in some fresh cream to give it a soft texture. Let it cook for 2 minutes and put the flame off.
As you proceed in the preparation, you will find the gravy reducing and thickening. Let this be as it will make the gravy rich, thick and softer. Suggest NOT adding water to it. If you want more gravy, take more tomatoes and onions accordingly.
This recipe seems taxing but it is very easy and quick recipe. Only time taking thing is the grinding part.
My preparation came out very well with beautiful saffron color, thick flavorful fragrance and creamy texture.
We loved it. Hope you will like it too!!
Happy Eating :)