|Majjige Charu/ Buttermilk with Tadka|
A very common form of consuming buttermilk in South India is to have it with tadka. Every household will have its own version, but this recipe is what I like the most. You may like to add ginger/ garlic to this based on your preference.
- Buttermilk (preferably sour for best results)
- Finely chopped onions
- Chopped green chillis
- Curry Leaves
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Dry red chillis
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
- Pinch of methi seeds
- Asafoetida (hing)
- Chana Dal - 1 table spoon
- Whole urad dal 1/2 table spoon
- In the buttermilk, add salt to taste, little bit of turmeric and red chilli powder
- For the tadka - heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and add Chana dal and fry it till it starts changing its colour and then add urad dal to it. Once they are almost done add asafoetida (hing), dry red chilies (broken into two halves), curry leaves, cumin, methi and mustard seeds, onions and green chillis and fry for few minutes.
- Once the tadka is ready, let it cool down for a bit and then add it to the buttermilk, add chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve.
Hope you will like it. Happy Eating :)