Rajma is predominantly a hot favorite dish from North India and is usually preferred with rice. This was not my usual favorite dish until I tasted my friend's recipe. This is my friend's mother's recipe from Delhi and since she is a Punjabi, there are no doubts about its Punjabi authenticity :). This one is for you Disha :)
- 250grms Rajma boiled (pressure cooked) with 1.5 inch grated ginger
- 7 Red tomatoes - pureed
- 3 large onions, 6 garlic cloves, 4-5 green chillis - grind into fine paste
- Vegetable oil
- Black cardamoms - 2
- Green cardamoms - 4
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cinnamon stick - 1 inch
- Cumin powder
- Red chilli powder
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander powder
- Garam masala (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and add black and green cardamoms, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and let them cook.
- Add onion, garlic, chilli paste to it and let it cook until almost brown and then add tomato puree, salt to taste, red chilli powder, cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder and turmeric powder and let it cook.
- once the masala is cooked completely, add the rajma along with the water you had boiled it in and let it cook for a while and keep stirring it.
- You can add 1-2 table spoons of ghee/ clarified butter to this for flavour.
Hope you will like it. Happy Eating :)